‘I was petrified.’ Baby monitor catches fire inside child’s room at night

‘I was petrified.’ Baby monitor catches fire inside child’s room at night


THAT FEELING OF WHAT IF I WOULD NOT HAVE NOTICED IT OR I WAS NOT HOME OR THE BOYS WERE UPSTAIRS? THAT IS SCARY. A LOCAL MOM GOT THAT SICK FEELING WHEN SHE SMELLED SMOKE AND SAW FLAMES IN THE BEDROOM. THE FIRE WAS SPARKED BY THIS BABY MONITOR. YOU CAN SEE THE MONITOR. THERE IS A CHUNK OF CARPET THAT MELTED ONTO THE BACK OF IT. FIREFIGHTERS SENT OUT A WARNING ON FACEBOOK READ THE MOM SPOKE WITH US AND AFTER SHE STARTED ASKING QUESTIONS THE CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION GOT INVOLVED. Reporter: THE MOTHER TELLS ME SHE BOUGHT THE BABY MONITOR OFF OF AMAZON ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND IT IS STILL FOR SALE ON THE WEBSITE. SHE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN IT OVERHEATED. THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, IT ACTUALLY CAUGHT ON FIRE WHILE HER TWIN BOYS WERE INSIDE THEIR HOME. MY MAIN CONCERN WAS MAKING SURE IT DID NOT GROW ANY BIGGER. I WAS PETRIFIED. HER-YEAR-OLD TWINS ARE HER WORLD. BUT, WHILE THEY WERE HOME YESTERDAY SHE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT SEEM RIGHT WHEN SHE HEARD A NOISE UPSTAIRS AND THEN SMELLED SMOKE. IT SMELLED LIKE A BURNING TIRE AND IT KEPT GETTING STRONGER AND STRONGER AS I WENT DOWN THE HALL. Reporter: SHE OPENED THE DOOR TO HER BEDROOM AND SMOKE RUSHED OUT. THE MONITOR WAS ON THE FLOOR ENGULFED IN SMOKE. SHE SHOWED US WHERE THE BABY MONITOR OVERHEATED, BURNING PART OF HER CARPET AFTER SHE QUICKLY PUT IT OUT SHE CALLED THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT. SHE IS THANKFUL SHE CAUGHT IT IN TIME. WHAT IF I WAS NOT HOME OR THE BOYS WERE UPSTAIRS? YOU KNOW, ALL THOSE OUTCOMES PLAY OUT AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE AND IT IS SCARY TO THINK ABOUT. Reporter: EVERY PARENT WITH AN INFANT HAS A BABY MONITOR LIKE THIS TO KEEP AN EYE ON THEIR KIDS BUT WITH EVERY ELECTRONIC DEVICE IT CAN POSE A THREAT TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY SO I TALKED TO THE FIRE CHIEF ABOUT THE SAFETY TIPS. IF YOU ARE NOT USING IT, UNPLUG IT. Reporter: OR PUT A HEAT ABSORBING COASTER UNDERNEATH IT SO IT IS NOT DIRECTLY ON A SURFACE. IN THIS CASE, THE FIRE CHIEF BELIEVES THE LITHIUM BATTERY OVERHEATED. IT IS USED IN MANY DEVICES INCLUDING BABY MONITORS. FOR SAFETY INFORMATION ON LITHIUM BATTERIES HEAD OVER TO THE WPXI NEWS APP . NOW, TONIGHT I REACHED OUT TO THE CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION ABOUT THIS BABY MONITOR. THEY ARE INVESTIGATING THE PRODUCT AND SO IS THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE. RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO RECALL BUT SHE SAYS SHE IS NOT TAKING ANY CHANCES AND WILL BE BUYING A DIFFERENT BABY MONITOR.

Related Posts

“You Are Leaving Her Heart Bruised” Dad Learns His Words Have Impact | Supernanny (S8, E5)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *